Even a few years ago, available roofing materials were clay, asphalt shingles, concrete, and slate. But gone are those days. Now, there is no dearth of roofing materials. You can have many alternatives with different looks and features. If you are planning for a roof installation Horsham, have a look at the following.
Types of Roofing Materials
Here are the most popular roofing materials available in the market. You can choose any as per your choice and budget for the next re-roofing project.
- Asphalt Shingles – This is the most common and highly popular roofing option. Asphalt can withstand different environmental conditions. There are different qualities of this material. So ask the vendor about whether your chosen one can pass different tests like wind tests and durability tests. You don’t need to spend a lot of money upfront. However, you have to change it at least once every 20 years. If you belong to an area susceptible to hail, choose the impact-resistant shingle.
- Solar Tiles – The latest versions of solar collectors can integrate flawlessly into current shingles while generating about 1 kW energy per sq. ft. Such tiles are a good option for sunny roofs in the localities where solar panels are not allowed. Though they offset overall energy costs due to solar power, they cost more than conventional solar alternatives.
- Slate – This kind of roofing can last for more than a century. It doesn’t get burnt. It is waterproof. It can resist fungus and mold as well. Slate is ideal for wet climates though it is a bit expensive and heavy. It can be broken if stepped on. This is not a perfect solution for hail-prone localities.
- Clay and Concrete Tile – These roof tiles are capable of withstanding damages natural calamities. These may include hurricanes, tornadoes and wind storms. It can also withstand earthquakes. The tiles are good for the dry, warm climate. However, they need additional support to carry weight. They may break if walked on.
- Green Roofs – Such roofs are fully covered with plants. They help to improve the quality of air. This roofing Horsham decreases water runoff while insulating homes from heat. Nevertheless, they require additional structural support. They also need thermal insulation, vapour barrier, proper drainage, waterproofing, and water filtration and so on. The tentative life duration of the roofs is 40 years.
- Rubber Slate – They look like natural stones. You can cut them with a knife to give an intricate shape like ones found on the Victorian houses. The roofs may last even a century. But they can be damaged by walking and satellite dishes. Some of the varieties are prone to hail damages. Also, you can face a hard time finding the right roofing professional for the installation of this roof.
- Metal Roofing – This comes in shingles or vertical panels. This roofing option may last for more than 50 years. It is just excellent at sloughing off rain and snow. The roofing doesn’t get burnt. It is able to withstand high winds. Since it is lightweight, you can install it over the existing roof. But the material can be noisy during a rainstorm. It may dent from hail. You may call a professional for flat roof repair Horsham to fix any issue.
There is no dearth of roofing materials in the market. Asphalt shingles, solar tiles, slate, clay, and concrete tile are some of them. You can also consider green roofs, rubber slate, and metal roofing as well.